Lawn Pesticides are sometimes needed to control and eliminate pests. But they can be dangerous for people and pets too. That’s why pesticide warning signs are required by law in most states. Pesticide application signs warn residents and passersby of the danger of these pesticides after they have been applied to a lawn. Here are some of the signal words and symbols that should be present on pesticide warning sign.
- Caution – Thispesticide warning sign indicates the presence of poisonous chemicals, but at a very low toxicity. Toxicity is defined as the ability to be poisonous. It depends on both the chemical and physical properties of the product and is rated by LD50. Smaller LD50 numbers indicate more toxic chemicals. It is accompanied by a skull-and-crossbones symbol inside a triangle.
- Warning – Pesticide signsthat indicate the presence of chemicals at a moderate toxicity. It is accompanied by a skull-and-crossbones symbol inside a rhombus.
- Danger – This, pesticide danger sign indicates the presence of chemicals at a high toxicity. It is accompanied by a skull-and-crossbones symbol inside an octagon. It may also include the word “poison”.
These are the primary indicators used on pesticide warning signs. There are others which might accompany them. They include:
- Poisonous – This means that the chemical is poisonous if it gets ingested. It should be kept away from pets and children, and workers should always observe adequate safety measures. It is usually accompanied by a skull-and-crossbones symbol.
- Flammable – This warns that the pesticide is easily combustible. It should be kept away from heat and sparks. It also prohibits smoking during mixing, handling, and application of the product. It is accompanied by a flame symbol.
- Explosive – This indicates the possibility of the chemical exploding. It should be handled with care and kept away from heat. It is accompanied by a symbol depicting an exploding grenade.
- Corrosive – This means that the chemical can burn the skin and eyes. These areas should be protected during handling of the product with gloves and safety glasses or goggles. Workers should also avoid breathing vapors. It is accompanied by a symbol depicting a human hand inside a dark square.
- Keep Away from Food – The substance is toxic and should be kept away from food, drinks, and anything else that will be consumed. It is accompanied by a symbol of a wheat stalk.
- Oxidizer – Oxidizing substances can ignite flammable materials. They should be kept away from flammable and combustible materials. This term is accompanied by a symbol depicting a circle beneath a flame.
Properly Warn Others of Pesticide Application with a well-designed Turf Sign
Some pesticides can cause conditions such as skin irritation, neurological disorders, or even cancer. Residents and passersby must be adequately warned of the dangers of the pesticides being used on your property in any capacity. Posting Signs in Tampa, Florida, can help you with this. We offer colorful posting signs and turf stakes to go with them that adhere to federal and state regulations. Furthermore, these well-designed, high-color turf signs are a phenomenal way to market and advertise your lawn pest control business to all the neighbors of your current customers. Contact Posting Signs today to get started!